Sunday, December 5, 2010

Joe's Curried Venison Meatballs

Hunting season ended a week ago, and I know that many folks were pretty successful.  Hopefully, the deer that ate my tulips last year is now in someone's freezer.  In honor of our brave Montana hunters I thought I'd post one of my favorite venison recipes. Joe used to make it quite a bit, so we tend to refer to it as 'Joe's venison'. It's a hearty, comfort food kind of a dish.  And it's a break from turkey leftovers which are still haunting my refrigerator.

Curried Venison Meatballs
Mix:
½ cup of tomato juice 
1 cup soft bread crumbs 
1 ½ pounds ground venison
1 small minced onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Shape the mixture into about 24 balls, then roll in flour and brown quickly in 3 tablespoons of hot oil.  Pour off fat. 
Cover meatballs with:
The rest of the big can of tomato juice
½ teaspoon seasoned salt
dash of pepper
½ teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons curry powder
½ cup of cheap and dry red wine
Cover and simmer very slowly until half of the liquid is gone...about an hour.  To serve, spoon over hot buttered noodles.

It's good. Trust me.


No comments:

Post a Comment