Saturday, March 19, 2011

Pumpkin Bread

I've been into trying pumpkin concoctions lately and this whole wheat pumpkin bread did not disappoint.  I was worried that it was a bit crumbly, but then I didn't wait until it cooled to cut myself a healthy slice (who does, I wonder?).  But after I had my slice and let the loaf alone to cool, the rest was very moist and sliced nicely.  I only had one cup of pumpkin left over after I made pumpkin scones, but the recipe cuts in half easily to make one loaf.  
And if you use a terra cotta loaf pan inherited from your dear departed mother-in-law.  And if that loaf pan makes you smile every time you use it.  And if that loaf pan departs extra love into every loaf baked in it.  Well, so much the better.
Pumpkin Bread
2/3 cup butter or margarine
2 2/3 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups pumpkin
2/3 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar.  In another bowl, beat eggs and then combine with pumpkin, water and vanilla.  Combine egg mixture with creamed mixture.  Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and flour, stirring to blend.  Fold in nuts.  Pour batter into two greased 9 X 5 loaf pans.  Bake for one hour.  Remove loaves from oven and cool on a wire rack. Well, maybe you should cut yourself a slice before cooling just to make sure it's fit to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment